Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ubuntu Operating System, and other distros - Free and reliable software

Ubuntu Operating System, and other distros - Free and reliable software


The first computer I bought had Microsoft Windows pre-installed, and that was the only operating system I knew for several years after I first started using the internet. Well known for the occasional outbreaks of computer viruses, which often make headline news, and then there are the Trojans and key logging problems as well with Windows.


After a dose of this I found something completely different. Ubuntu. My first experience of the Ubuntu operating system came with Feisty Fawn, which I enjoyed for its ease of use, and its security. That is what I especially like about the Linux platform, the freedom from computer viruses. They are not unheard of on Linux machines, but they are not as common as those on Microsoft Windows pcs.

I have no concerns about a firewall either. With the Ubuntu operating system it loads and runs every time I start the pc. With Microsoft Windows you often have to go looking for a reliable Firewall to install before you can safely start surfing the internet.

Then there is the free software that comes with Ubuntu. There is a wide choice of applications to suit a wide range of interests, and these programs are well written. If you want more free software, it’s easy enough to run the install program and install some more applications.

Since this earlier version of Ubuntu there have been more revisions of the Ubuntu operating system and each one is more professional and smarter than the previous version. The desktop graphics can be stunning as well.

You aren’t tied to the one Ubuntu operating system. Anytime you fancy a change you can easily download another Linux distro, burn an ISO image on CD or DVD and install the system on to your hard drive or simply run it from a live CD. I have tried Mandriva 2008 , open SUSE and Fedora 10, in this way, and I like them all.

If you fancy something different from Microsoft Windows, I recommend the free Linux distributions to you. I have had no problems with them and have found them to be reliable and stable platforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment